1921 - 22 Four rural or “ward schools” were opened
for rural county students. These schools were called Northwest Ward
School, Northeast Ward School, Southeast Ward School and Southwest Ward
1922 The new “Mexican School” is opened. Later
named Guadalupe when a new building was built in 1930. 1923
In February, Governor Pat Neff signs Senate Bill 103, authored by State
Senator William H. Bledsoe, establishing Texas Technological College.
The locating Board, meeting in August, announces that Lubbock will be
the home of the new school. Lubbock celebrates the announcement
with a barbecue attended by more than 30,000 people. Home delivery
of mail begins. New Lubbock High School built south of Broadway
between 13th and 14th Streets. Old high school becomes the Central Ward
Elementary School. K. Carter Elementary School is built at 6th St.
and Ave. Q.
1924 The cornerstone for the Texas Technological
College Administration building is laid in a ceremony on November 11.
The growth of Lubbock’s Hispanic population leads to the establishment
of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church.
1925 Texas Technological College opens in
September, with an initial enrollment of about 1,000 students. Local bus
service is established. First six stories of the Hotel Lubbock,
now Pioneer Retirement Hotel, are completed. Six more stories will be
added in 1929.
1926 First Board of City Development is appointed by
the City Commission.
1927 Burrus Elevators, the first large grain storage
facility in Lubbock, is constructed on 4th Street. Dupre
Elementary opens at 2008 Ave. T. It is named after former Superintendent
of Schools M.M. Dupre. Sanders Elementary opens at 610 Auburn. It
is named after Liff Sanders, the first resident minister in Lubbock.
1928 The Fort Worth and Denver South Plains Railway begins
service to Lubbock, adding another spoke to the “Hub of the Plains.” The
Fort Worth and Denver depot on Avenue G will be designated as the city’s
first historic landmark in 1979.
1929 Plains Museum Society, now West Texas Museum
Association, founded to promote and support a museum at Texas Tech.
Meadowbrook Golf Course opens. First successful oil well is
drilled in Lubbock County.
1930 Lubbock’s population increases to 20,520,
indicative of the rapid growth of the local economy in the 1920’s.
Lubbock Municipal Airport opens north of town. The original airport
hangar is now occupied by WesTex Aviation. New Guadalupe School
building is built.
1931 The present Lubbock High School is completed on
19th Street. The building is now listed on the National Register
of Historic Places and is a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark. The old
Lubbock High School becomes Carroll Thompson Junior High, now
demolished. A new Lubbock County jail is built on Main Street.
1932 Lubbock’s first commercial radio station, KFYO,
begins broadcasting in April. The new Federal Building and Post
Office is constructed on the north side of Broadway near the County
1933 Lubbock’s all time record low temperature,
minus 17 degrees, is set on February 8.
1934 George H. Mahon is elected the first United
States Representative from the new Nineteenth Congressional District,
which includes Lubbock County.
1935 Mackenzie State Park is established, combining
existing city and county parks with additional acreage under state
1936 Buddy Holly, who will rise to rock and roll
fame in the 1950’s, is born in Lubbock.
1939 On January 1, Texas Technological College is
defeated by St. Mary’s in Tech’s first Cotton Bowl appearance.
Lubbock High School wins the city’s first state football championship,
defeating Waco High School 2014. Lubbock High will win state two
more times; in 1950 and 1951. Roscoe Wilson Elementary opens at
2801 25th St. Mr. Wilson was an early settler and attorney in the City
of Lubbock. He was a member of the City Charter Commission and the
Lubbock School Board. Summer temperatures reach as high as 109
degrees, a record that stands until 1994.
1940 Lubbock’s population increases only 55 percent,
to 31,853, in the 1940 census. This increase, the smallest rate since
the town’s establishment, indicates the effects of the Great Depression
on the South Plains. The new Lindsey Theater opens on Main Street,
with “The Mark of Zorro” as its feature presentation. Bean
Elementary opens at 3001 Ave. N. It is named after George R. Bean,
L.I.S.D. Trustee and first Trustee President. Bean was one of the
first inhabitants of Lubbock County in 1880 and was a prominent lawyer,
judge and landowner
1941 First city zoning ordinance enacted.
Lubbock Army Airfield, an advanced flying school, is established west of
town. Record precipitation, 40.55 inches, falls in Lubbock during
1942 South Plains Flying School is located at the
Lubbock Municipal Airport, operating until 1945.
1944 McWhorter Elementary opens at 2711 1st St. It
is named after pioneer and civic leader B.O. McWhorter.
1945 The city’s first commercial air flight occurs
when Braniff’s “Super B Liner” flies into Lubbock Municipal Airport.
Chatman’s Hospital, the first black hospital in West Texas, is
established in Lubbock.
1946 Lubbock Symphony Orchestra established.
Harwell Elementary opens at 4101 Ave. D. It is named after civic leader
Chris Harwell who was active in the local Masonic Lodge.
1947 The present day Jackson Elementary School opens
as the “Cottage School” at 2101 2nd St. The present school building
opened in 1949. It is named after A..C. Jackson, the first business
manager of L.I.S.D. Hutchinson Junior High opens at 32nd and
Canton Ave. It is named after Dr. J.T. Hutchinson, founder of the
Lubbock Sanatorium which is now Methodist Hospital. Slaton Junior
High opens at 32nd and Ave. Q. It is named for O.L. Slaton, early
Lubbock banker and businessman. Mr. Slaton was a cofounder of what is
today the First National Bank of West Texas.
1949 Lubbock Army Airfield is renamed Reese Air
Force Base in honor of World War II hero Augustus Reese, Jr. of
Shallowater. Brown Elementary School opens at 2301 36th St. It is
named after teacher, principal, landowner and Judge P.F. Brown.
Overton Elementary opens at 29th and Louisville. It is named after Dr.
M. C. Overton, doctor of general medicine and real estate developer. Dr.
Overton was a member of the First L.I.S.D. Board of Trustees.
Posey Elementary opens at 1301 Redbud Ave. It is named after early
banker and businessman Walter S. Posey. Posey and O.L. Slaton were
founders of First National Bank.
1950 Lubbock’s population, as measured by the
1950 census, increases to 71,747. Present Lubbock County
Courthouse is built at Broadway and Texas. Iles Elementary opens
as a part of the Dunbar school complex. It is named after Ella R.
Iles, one of the first African American educators in Lubbock.
Wolffarth Elementary opens at 3202 Erskine. It is named after pioneer
rancher and civic leader George C. Wolffarth.
1951 High Plains Underground Water Conservation
District Number 1 is established in Lubbock.
1952 Lubbock’s first television station, KDUB,
begins broadcasting in November. Matthews Junior High opens at 417
Akron Ave. It is named after former Superintendent of Schools, R.W.
Matthews. Hodges Elementary opens at 5001 Ave. P. It is named
after early merchant and landowner C.N. Hodges who owned the land the
school was built on. Stubbs Elementary opens at 3501 Toledo Ave.
It is named after Mrs. Lou Stubbs. She was an early settler and the
first woman to serve on the Lubbock School Board. Wheelock
Elementary opens in the 3000 block of 42nd St. It is named for early
settler, founder, businessman, Mayor and County Commissioner F.E.
1954 The first Lubbock Public Library opens on
19th Street across from Lubbock High School. Arnett Elementary
School opens at 701 E. Queens in far northern Lubbock. It is named after
a longtime local rancher and banker Sam C. Arnett.